Monday, October 13, 2008

Sunday's Talk Got Me Thinking

If you know me well then you know that I am not a very political person. I don't generally get involved or have very many opinions so this is very rare for me.

We went to Church on the Hill, in Hillsboro this past Sunday. I'm not sure that this will be the church we call home while here in the area but it was a very though provoking sermon. They don't have it on their website yet, but they should soon. I think it's worth listening to.
http://www.churchonthehill.cc/media/media/recent.php?mediatype=Audio

I don't agree with everything he says, but that's good. Who wants to hear someone who thinks just like you do. How boring.

I don't know all that much about our how exactly our government works, just what I recall from high school civics class. I'm not all the patriotic, and I believe other countries have a lot to offer. I do vote, but have not always been an educated voter. I can be easily influenced by the media and can be too lazy/busy to do my homework to find out the real facts.
I generally don't think that who I vote for is really going to matter. I know, I know every vote counts, but whatever. And I didn't feel that it honestly matters all that much who the president is because he doesn't make all the decisions and is pushed around by other influences anyway.

I have been interested in issues such as global warming, alternative fuel choices, and the economy. Things that effect my small day to day world. And you hear a lot of talk about these things.

But what I did not realize is how many Judges this next president may be appointing. I think it's like 7 that are currently over 75 year old!! I haven't really though about before the kind of power these Judges have. So I didn't really understand what kind of a long term impact this next president is going to have. And how important it is that the next president have the kind of Christ like values that are most important to us so that He will appoint people with those same values.

Issue #1: God created us. Had a plan for each of us before we were even born. So, preserving human life is a top priority. If we don't hold every human life to be precious and loved by God, then what else really matters.

Issue #2: God created marriage. He set it up. He designed it. So, we have no right to change the definition of it. I'm not saying that we care about,care for or love anyone less than another. We should love everyone and take care of everyone just like Jesus does. But if a marriage is a model of God and his Church then we have no right to change it. This is important.

There are so many very important issues out there. So many things to care about and so many people to love. But if we look for the person who most loves the things that God loves, then everything else will fall into place too. Someone can say almost everything right and have the right plan for a lot of issues, but if his core values miss the mark then he's still the wrong guy.

Wow. Blah, blah, blah. Did I just go on and on or what. So take it or leave it. For as little influence as I have with the world outside my trailer I thought I'd express my opinions to anyone who happens to care to read them.

Have a great day. Enjoy the Autumn.

No comments: