Tuesday, June 28, 2011

My Companion and My Friend



Last week we had to say good bye to my dear old friend, Sadie.

About a month ago, we learned that she had an aggressive form of lymphoma. Considering her age most treatments were not really an option. We tried to slow it's progression with some medications. That helped dramatically and she had a few weeks of her old limber self. But just as the vet had said, the cancer became immune to the effects of the medication. Her health was declining rapidly and she no longer wanted to do anything but lay on the floor. When she was taken out on walks she would just pant and beg to go back inside. She was eating but growing more thin everyday. She was just feeding the tumors. The cancer grew through her lymph nodes, to her stomach, her lungs, and heart.
Poor old girl.
She was unhappy and we knew there was nothing more we could do for her except take away her pain. It was time to say goodbye.

The night before, we sat down and talked it over with the kids. We had been talking about it for awhile and they knew it was coming. Caleb had been saying for weeks that he knew that Sadie was sick and was "going to have to be shot down."
Sweet Cora cried and cried. Me too.
It was awful.

The next morning, Cora crawled out of bed and into my lap. She told me that she had prayed about it and that God had helped her and that it was going to be okay.
She is so strong. God is so good.
I knew that if my 6 year old was strong enough to get through that day then I had to be.

I loaded Sadie in the van and the kids and I took her to the vet for the last time. We hugged her and said good bye, then the kiddos went to the lobby to play with the kittens while I stayed by her side to comfort her. It was all so heart breaking, but I am glad I was there with her.

Once outside, I collapsed into a crying heap against the wall. Poor sweet Cora just stood there holding back tears and placed her little hand on my shoulder. She was amazing! Both my children were amazing. Such a comfort and blessing.

Sadie had been with me for nearly all of my adult life. She came into my life while I was still living in the dorm, my sophomore year of college. She's been there for everything. She was there waiting at home for me when I graduated and when we returned from our honeymoon. She was there to greet my children as they came home for the first time. For the past 4 years she has been exploring the U.S. with us as we travel round in our 5th wheel. She effected nearly all of my decisions. She was always there.

She was my dear, true friend, and companion.
I miss her so, and she will always have a special place in my heart.








Good Bye old friend.

No comments: