Monday, August 9, 2010

Just a Small Town Girl

I say I'm a small town girl. I so enjoy small town America. I like strolling down main street, playing in the town park, chatting with the local librarian, sitting on the curb watching a parade and waving to the mayor, finding a perfect vintage 1970's dress in an antique store ($18) along with a copy of Little Women and Lost Bobo.

And yet, I am just as happy enjoying coffee at Joe's in downtown Austin. Searching for a parking place, then walking hand in hand with my children to the Children's Museum while cars and people rush by on their way to work. I like the energy you feel downtown. I like taking in story time at Book People and walking to Whole Foods, listening to the traffic and shooing away black birds while we eat our lunch and the kids climb on the rocks.

I believe we'd be just as happy living on a big 'o hunk of land enjoying the peaceful country life as we'd be living in a modern downtown loft so close to everything that we never have to drive a car.
It's all good.
---
That said, we are very much enjoying our stay in Bastrop.
It's charming and adorable.
It has some big name stores, and a historic downtown with yummy treats and fun shopping. Plus, it's only about 30 minutes from everything Austin has to offer. Oh, and just down the road from the airport. It's the kind of place that we could see ourselves settling down and joining the town planning committee. (Just not anytime in the near future.)

Here are a few pics from our recent adventures in Bastrop. Enjoy.


No comments: